Monday, March 30, 2009

Austin drunk driving suspects cannot refuse a blood test this weekend

Austin Police will once again crack down on suspect drunk drivers with another no-refusal weekend beginning at 9 p.m. Friday night.

That means if you're suspected of driving drunk and won't submit to a breath test, cops will get a warrant to draw your blood.

”For me personally I think it's a great idea,” driver Elaine Law told CBS 42 News. “I realize people have concerns about it being an intrusion on their privacy, but you know wrecks are really an intrusion too.”

Police say they’re cracking down on college kids behind the wheel for Spring Break. They insist the no-refusal weekend wasn’t timed to target all the out-of-towners in Austin for South by Southwest and the Austin Rodeo.

“I don't like it, but I watch what I do anyway,” said George Fritz, one of many motorists who’ll be headed to the rodeo this weekend.

The no-refusal weekend will end at 5 a.m. Saturday morning.

Austin Police made 54 DWI arrests during the first no-refusal weekend Halloween night. Another two dozen were booked New Year’s Eve and 21 were busted Superbowl Sunday.

source

No comments: